Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Reflection of Adam Smith's Writing


John McDaid
Dr. Herron

A situation may not always be seen and probably will not be seen in the way that you want it to be understood and processed in the mind of a bystander. Sympathy may be given to you or someone else. Sympathy for yourself may not be the strong and barely controllable emotion that is felt from a bystander.
Paragraph seven was very interesting to me because I could relate very well with the example and substance of the paragraph. “The furious behavior of an angry man is more likely to exasperate us against himself than against his enemies. As we are unacquainted with his provocation, we cannot bring his case home to ourselves” (Smith para. 7). In the heat of the moment sympathy may not be felt for you but rather your enemy. A bystander may not have seen what situation put you into this rage and anger, but rather may have only seen your enemy nervous, scared, and defeated. Naturally people would feel sympathy for the underdog and the weaker man. People feel sorry for what is going to happen to the mans enemy because all they may have seen was an angry and enraged man about to defeat someone. Naturally people shy away from conflict, so a bystander would take the side of the man who seems to not want to fight. People naturally sympathize for the mans enemy with fear and resentment.
I was put into a situation that was very similar. I was competing in a wrestling tournament and was beating one of my opponents at the time. For whatever reason, my opponent’s father was not all right with that. Numerous times he walked onto the mat and kept trying to break the match up. I continued to wrestle and later on won the match and placed 3rd in the tournament. I was receiving my metal and my opponent’s father started an argument with my father. People broke it up and sent the man outside. Little did my father and I know that the man was waiting right outside the doors. My father and I headed to the exit to leave and as soon as we opened the door, the man jumped my father. I was pushed away and was helplessly watching my father fight over something so stupid but something so right for him to defend himself. He defeated the man and got out of the building but only ten yards from the building, he was stopped by a police officer to be questioned and accused of beating up a man for no reason. My father was accused of beating this man up because he did, but was accused of doing it for the wrong reason. All witnesses said that they only saw a man throw the first punch and continue to throw more. They didn’t know that he was only defending himself but also that he was jumped before the first punch was thrown. My father now looked like the bad guy because sympathy was shown for the wrong person.
There were passions that expressed excitement of sympathy, but the sympathy was shown for the wrong person. I don’t disagree with what people thought and said of the fight, because it is what they saw. I strongly agree with Smith and how in some situations there may be no passion that would trigger sympathy. 

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very frustrating experience. What exactly do you think Smith would say about it? First, his example is not about actual fighting, but rather about anger--would this points extend to this type of a situation? Would there be any differences? I wonder if Smith would say that there are some instances of violence--perhaps not the one you describe, though--in which even when we understand that someone may have good reasons, that there we still do not sympathize with the other person. Is there any circumstance where nothing can make us sympathize with someone with good reasons? Why was it so hard for you and your dad to win sympathy? Simple mistaken identity, or something more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that when Smith was talking about anger that it very well could lead into an argument or a fight. I do believe that his points can extend to the type of situation I was in and the initial reaction and express of sympathy could be felt for the wrong man. I can see that there could be differences. It was hard for my father to win sympathy because after the fight he fled the scene, making it look like he was running from trouble, but all he was trying to do was to get me out of that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is what makes sympathy such an interesting emotion. It is not only an emotion, it is one that depends partially on immediate feeling, and partially on slower contemplation. It also, of course, is a feeling that leads to other feelings. In a way, sympathy is not just an emotion but every possible emotion.

      Delete
  3. JJ,

    Your insight into the relationship between anger and sympathy is interesting and very difficult to cover seeing as no one truly understands these two emotions (or any other emotion, for that matter). The situation with your father must have been difficult, but I like how you tied it into Smith's discussion over emotional struggles.

    Cullen Cosco

    ReplyDelete
  4. You explained Smith's view very well. Reading this helped me understand this even further. I like how you were able to relate a personal story to go along with the reading. It showed a different perspective other than the side that Smith intended. The example describes a circumstance in in which sympathy is not used in the correct way. It would be interesting to see Smith's stance on your story.

    ReplyDelete