Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Somalian shooters

John McDaid

        This is another horrible incident that has occurred and another that we have to read. I agree with all the survivors on how they explain the Somalian shooters. The Kenyan survivors explain how they are inhumane and had no feeling or emotion in there face. Again I want to express my feeling on how there are mentally unstable people in the world that we live in. To make a connection from the last reading, The Naval Yard Shooting, in both cases people act inhumanely and seem to be mentally unstable. I do believe there is a difference between The shooter in the Naval Yard and the Somalian shooters. The Somalian shooters seemed to commit this action more through anger and order. It is a horrible incident to have to deal with and go through and am very sorry for all those who were involved. I would categorize the article in the website, The Counter Punch as informal because it is not a refutable news source with a good editter, but more of a blog with an oppiniated author that does not cite good enough sources. I believe that is favored toward the perspective of someone who is against the form of policy of the United States.

4 comments:

  1. That is a very good connection you made between the two reading topics. I had not previously thought of that but the actions of the shooters seem very similar. I would also agree with your statement regarding the Counter Punch. This is a very informal source and geared less towards facts and more opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it very interesting and eye-opening when you pointed out the differences between the Kenya Shooters and the Naval Yard shooter. While the Somalian shooters had an agenda and a purpose, the Naval yard shooter seemed to have no motive. I think this is why the somalian shooters committed more to their actions and showed evident anger. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may differ with you here. While I agree that the man in the Naval shooting was completely insane, the Somali shooters may not have been. To me it seems as though they were not killing out of insanity (as in a mental disorder), but rather by misguidance that they had been led to believe that they were doing good. These men were likely uneducated and they listened to the twisted words of an evil man who took advantage of their ignorance to guide them down an evil path. What's worse to me is that these people were likely getting joy out of their killing believing that this was good, and not out of something being wrong with their means of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you say that they committed the act through "anger and order." That's a very well-phrased and provocative idea. What would anger and order mean exactly? Who are they angry at, and whom do they wish to impose order upon? In response to Jose, it seems like maybe you two agree a bit more than it might appear. I think you were saying, John, that there was something wrong with the Kenya shooters, but that it wasn't mental illness per se. Perhaps we could distinguish mental disorder from mental illness proper. What exactly does this mean in terms of the consequences of the shooting?

    ReplyDelete